IPL stands for Intense Pulsed Light technology. Home IPL hair removal devices apply very gentle pulses of light to the hair root. This makes the hair go into its resting phase: the hair you have falls out, and gradually your body grows less hair in that area.
How does IPL work?
So that answers ‘what is IPL?’ – now for the details. IPL works thanks to a pigment in hair called melanin: much like a dark sheet on a hot day, the melanin helps the hair absorb the light from the flashes, stimulating it to go into its resting phase. This leaves you with smooth, hair-free skin.
So, how do you do IPL hair removal at home? Using the LaserIPL™ is easy:
- Shave, epilate or wax the area to remove the hair. If you choose to epilate or wax, make sure you do it the day before you do your treatment.
- Select the right light intensity for your skin tone.
- Turn the LaserIPL™ on, and wait for the ‘ready to flash’ light to come on.
- Press the ‘flash’ button.
- Move on to the next spot!